- Height: 6-9' high and wide
- Light: Best in part shade
- Soil: Moist, well drained; adapts to wet
- Blooms: White, May-June
- Landscape: Best when masses; also along shrub borders; ponds and streams
- Forms thickets
- More information and native range here
Dogwood, Red Osier/Red Twig
Pollinator value: Very High. Spring Azure larval host. Attracts waterfowl, marshbirds and shorebirds, mammals, birds and butterflies.
Clusters of creamy-white blossoms are followed by pea-sized white berries that last into fall. Colorful fall foliage and bright red twigs.
Prune out old canes periodically and to nearly the ground in spring to encourage vigorous new red twigs.