Emerald Arborvitae is by far our most popular arborvitae and one of our most popular trees overall. It does have a striking emerald-green color, and it naturally grows in the shape of a Christmas tree.
Its foliage almost shimmers in full sun, and it grows in a narrow column for tight spaces. It's great as a specimen or as a dense hedge or privacy screen. Plant Emeralds about two feet apart for a hedge.
Arborvitae, Emerald Green
- Latin: Thuja occidentalis 'Smaragd'
- Current height: 3-4 feet
- Mature height: 10-12 feet; 3-4 foot spread
- Light: Prefers full sun; some shade is OK.
- Soil: Medium
- Foliage: Evergreen, emerald green
- Landscape: Hedge or specimen