- Mature height: 2-4 feet
- Light: Sun, part shade or shade
- Soil: Moist
- Blooms: Red, July-September
- Deer resistant: Yes
- Landscape: Moist shade gardens, wetlands, along ponds or streams, rain gardens
- Pair with: Hyssop-leaf Boneset; Swamp Milkweed, Mistflower
- Fun Fact: Introduced to Europe in the 1600s and, like the birds, named after the red robes worn by the Roman Catholic Cardinals.
- More photos and information here
Pollinator value: High. Attracts hummingbirds, butterflies, native bees.
Spires of red flowers bloom for 4 to 6 weeks in late summer/early fall.