- Current Height: 3'
- Mature Height: 5-10'; 4-6' spread
- Light: Full sun to part shade
- Soil: Moist, sometimes wet
- Bloom: White, summer, musky scent
- Landscape: Screen, specimen, border, native or rain garden
- Fun fact: Blooms late summer even in shade when few other trees are in bloom
- More photos and information here
Pollinator value: Very High. Hummingbirds, butterflies, beetles, wasps, flies, native bees; the attraction creates what William Cullina describes as "a buzzing cacophony of tiny wings."
A good garden shrub, Summersweet is a fast grower, taking on up to 24 inches in a season. It likes to form thickets but spreads slowly and is easily controlled in a moist, partly sunny garden.
Its deep green leaves contrast beautifully against spikes of white flowers.