Butterflies, songbirds.Brilliant pink late-season blooms. Glorious patina of pink and purple emerges just as most summer blooms are fading. From afar resembles a pink haze above deep green foliage. Makes a great specimen planting; best planted en masse where it can really stop the show.
Pink muhly grass -- Spring 2024
- Latin: Muhlenbergia capillaris
- Height: 2-3 feet tall and wide
- Light: Full sun
- Soil: Dry, well drained
- Bloom: Pink, purplish September-November
- Foliage: Deciduous, green, fine textured
- Pair with: New England Aster, Black-eyed Susan, Golden Alexanders, Sneezeweed.
- Resistance: Deer
- Fun fact: Capillaris means hair-like
- More information and native range here
- Photos: Creative Commons (First photo is at the U.S. Botanic Garden)