- Our size: 1-2 feet
- Mature size: 6-10 feet high and wide
- Light: Full sun to mostly shade (best height in shade)
- Soil: medium (adapts to most soils)
- Reddish-brown, deliciously fragrant spring flowers
- Fruits mature in fall and persist into winter
- More photos and information here
Pollinator value: Medium; Attracts native bees
Two-inch maroon flowers up and down the twigs for a month or more in spring and summer are very fragrant -- like a fruit salad!
It has summer fruits and a pleasant yellow fall color. Best planted where its fragrance can be enjoyed.
Also called Carolina allspice.